Really? A chocolate smoothie with COURGETTE! No, I didn’t go crazy. This taste sooo good! The frozen courgette with cacao creates a milkshake-like drink that I often make for my husband and myself in the afternoon as an extra energy boost.
Sometimes you just need something simple, easy to eat and after a short break continuing with the next challenge. This smoothie is perfect for such occasions. You often see similar recipes with frozen banana. That is of course also be delicious but I was looking for a recipe without a banana flavor and more greens in it. I tried with the frozen courgette and it just turned out great!
So simple but still, the instructions;0)
– Take a yellow, green or white courgette. Rinse and pad it dry with a kitchen towel. No need to peel it.
– Cut it into slices of about 1/2 cm and cut each slice into quarters.
– Lay them flat in a freezer bag, try to avoid the pieces to lie on top of each other. Place the bag flat in the freezer for about 4 hours.
– When the courgette is frozen, you can tie the bag. Doing it this way, it becomes easy to portion the frozen courgette to your future smoothies. If you are making spiralized courgette pasta every now and then, just add the small pieces that are left to the bag. In that way you can make use of everything and avoid food waste. A win-win!
Shall we get started?
Chocolate smoothie with hidden courgette
80 gram / 2.95 oz frozen courgette
2 dl / 195 gram / 6.90 oz unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
A well-stocked teaspoon / / 30 gram / 0.95 oz cashew or almond butter
1 tablespoon / 5 gram / 0.20 oz (raw) cacao
(1 medjouldate, optional)
How do I do it?
1. Pour all ingredients in a blender.
2. Mix until you have a creamy but still cold smoothie.
3. Enjoy for breakfast, snack or whenever needing an energy boost. Delicious!
This recipe is free from lactose, milk protein, gluten and (refined) sugar.