After a long vacation finally the book reviews are back on the blog. And oh, theres so many fun, good and inspiring cookbooks released since the summer! Today I have a review of a Swedish book called Baka vego and recipes for apple syrup and lemon curd.
To bake vegan with neither dairy products such as milk or butter and eggs can really be a challenge. If you also want to make it gluten-free and without refined sugar, then you maybe find yourself standing in the kitchen thinking it’s IMPOSSIBLE! But it’s not, not at all. Mekto Ganic, the author of Baka vego (in free translation Vegan baking) shows how. All recipes are gluten-free and without any strange ingredients or additives. And it turns out to be really exciting, fun and useful!
In addition to the recipes with cookies, soft cakes, bread, muffins and crispbread, there is a section with different fillings, creams and jams to put on the bread. Very convenient as it sometimes can be tricky to figure out what to put on the sandwich if you want to eat more green and less animal products.
From the book, I have chosen two recipes this time. A really good apple syrup that taste just as a syrup though it contains only apples and lemon. So tasty and very useful for many dishes. Additionally, I choose to make a lemon curd using the syrop. I’m quite sure you will be as enthusiastic as I am!
2 kg of apples, or 2 liters of purchased 100% raw juice (in the book the author use 1 kg apples and 1 kg pears. I personally think it was better with just apples)
The juice of 1/2 lemon
How do I do it?
1. Assemble the juicer.
2. Wash, cut into smaller pieces if necessary and add the fruit to the juicer.
3. Pour the apple juice and the squeezed lemon juice into a saucepan. Allow it to come to a boil.
4. Lower the heat and cook for about 45 minutes without a lid. Let the syrup reduce to about one third. Then you will have a nice, which but liquid syrup.
5. Let it cool completely before pouring it in a sterilized bottle or jar. You sterilize the bottle by pouring in boiling water in the bottle a few times. Discard the last water and add the syrop). The syrup keeps for several months so be sure to make a big batch while busy.
3 organic lemons (the zest from all three and the juice of two)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other vegan milk)
25 grams of deodorized coconut oil
1/2 cup / 60 grams of apple syrup
How do I do it?
1. Mix the lemon juice, zest, cornstarch and milk in a saucepan and cook on low heat until it begins to thicken.
2. Stir in the coconut oil, syrup and bring it to boil again.
3. Stir until it forms a firm curd. Let it cool off and place the curd in the fridge. It will thickens even more in the fridge. The lemoncurd is good for about one week in the refrigerator.
These recipes are free from gluten, sugar and lactose.