I love fennel! So much that I even eat it for breakfast every now and then … But today I made a yummy warm fennel gratin with almond feta instead. Simple and delicious!
That you can make a fantastic feta cheese out of almond’s is rather amazing … But that you also can browning the cheese so that it gets a bit crispy is actually even better …
The recipe is incredible simple, so simple that it hardly needs a recipe but rather a small sketch (and a reminder of delicious it is to combine fennel and cheese.)
I was so happy to find out that there are many fennel-loving foodies out there judging from the reactions on Instagram when I posted my first post on fennel. I asked my readers’ favorite way to eat fennel on and some of the proposals I received were;
– Grilled fennel and fennel gratin with coconut milk (from @emmajofveus)
– Raw, finely shredded with a few drips of olive oil and sea salt (from @mmmrecept)
– Roasted fennel with orange (from @wizardress)
– Grilled fennel (from @confidentcoeliac)
– Fennel boiled with garlic and grilled (from @pipinuta)
So fun to read! Are the more fennel fans here who have more great suggestions? Let everyone know, write a comment!
Now the “recipe”. Let’s get to work!
Yummy fennel gratin with almond feta
1 liter water
3 large fennel
Half of a batch of the almond feta
Salt and pepper
How do I do it?
1. Preheat the oven to 210 ° C. Boil 1 liter of water in a large pan.
2. Cut off the woody, hollow stems and the lowermost bottom of each fennel Cut away any brown spots.
3. Cut each fennel into slices lengthwise. It doesn’t matter if it holds together (though it’s more beautiful). Put the slices in a colander and rinse them.
4. Add the fennel into the boiling water. Let the fennel cook until its so soft as you prefer it. It usually takes about 10 minutes for me.
5. Drain the fennel in a colander when soft. Pour a few drips of olive oil in a ovenproof dish and pour over the drained fennel in the dish, add some salt and pepper on top.
6. Crumble the almond feta over the fennel and add some more olive oil on top. Place the fennel and feta cheese in the oven and let it grill for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
7. Remove from the oven and enjoy your gratin together with your good dinner.
This recipe is free from gluten, lactose and sugar.